This work was interesting and pleasant from many aspects:
- Krišjānis Valdemārs (the person on picture) was important figure in Latvian history on the way for Latvian nation to establish it’s own country. At his time it was just naive dream. While working on project, I learned some more facts related to Valdemārs. I also plan to go to library soon. More about this historical person from 19.cent.
- This was reconstruction. Only low quality and few pictures are available both, in archives and internet. So most of details and colors are imaginary, using logic and references from other people.
- I went through many studies to make this portrait done: anatomy of the head and it’s parts, ingredients/art and science of skin shading, distribution and parameters of hair, pores, glossiness, color, veins, etc.
- I’ve met new friend, expert of Anatomy for Sculptors – Uldis Zarins. You can consider to buy his book if interested in character design.
- I enjoyed(not always ) and sometimes even freaked out from test-renders when face started to look believable(for me )
- I found and reported some issues with hair systems and compositor. Must say that this wasn’t most pleasant part when I needed to repeat large amount of work 3 times because of issues and unexpected behavior of editors. But it also was very valuable experience.